Reliance In the Archive
Sorry, you were excrement outta luck. They got the last download link! Go buy a hard copy from Amazon or find a friend who already has the file on his hard drive.
:) God help me, I was wrong! But probably not for long, so act quickly!!! I just found the link above in the internet archive!!!!
Most of the links in this post have been broken by external site changes. The pdf scans of reliance have been pulled down. At present, only a pdf containing the English translation is available, and I do not expect it to remain up for long.
For a quick survey, download "A Summary Of Islamic Jurisprudence" from the internet archive. For the fiqh particular to Jihad, download " The Book Of Jihad" from the internet archive.
Crusadersarmory.tk is defunct, There is an old copy in the wayback machine if you know how to find and use it in the internet archive. .
Critical update 10/26/16: new source discovered! * http://www.islam4infidels.com/filesup/Original-the-reliance-of-the-traveller.pdf o This is a pdf of the English language translation, no Arabic. There are missing links in the table of contents but in the parts I checked, the text is present and you can search for or scroll to it. o The Index Bibliography appear to be missing. The text appears to be authentic. + Alternative source: https://www.suchanek.name/texts/poor/sharia.pdf # found here: http://www.religiousrules.com/Islamsources.htm#Internet o found here + http://www.islam4infidels.com/reliance-of-the-traveler/ # found here * http://concit.org/reliance-of-the-traveller-sharia-law-manual/ * This page contains a great deal of useful information about the book. Update 06-11-16: Many links are broken. This one works at this time:
Updated 03/8/'14 to fix broken links. crusaders Armory is now a .tk domain.
This post is spurred by recent interest in tags related to Reliance of the Traveller. Updating this post with new links including links to the handbooks of other schools of Shari'ah was motivated by a cross link posted in Family Security Matters this excellent article at Family Security Matters by Ed Cline has raised several important points which require posts of their own for deeper exploration.
Islamic law is derived from Muhammad's recitation and example: Qur'an & Sunnah. "Umdat as-Salik wa 'Uddat an-Nasik (Reliance of the Traveller and Tools of the Worshipper, also commonly known by its shorter title Reliance of the Traveller) is a classical manual of fiqh for the Shafi'i school of Islamic jurisprudence. Here is the Wikipedia entry.
The book is about 1251 pages long. While you can search it at Muhaddith, there are some limitations to the search. The text has been posted an an educational site, from which I took these quotations. This is a raw text file, and some of it is extremely RAW! I suggest using the Ctrl F search function to find what you are seeking if you go there and delve into it: That text version is not complete, it ends with Book V.
Islamic Bulletin has an extensive librarywhich includes two versions of Reliance.
- Broken Link!!! http://www.islamicbulletin.org/free_downloads/resources/reliance_complete.pdf 31.4 mb low resolution pdf file. This appears to be the complete text of the book, including the certifications and index. 1251 pages.
- Broken Link!!!!http://www.islamicbulletin.com/free_downloads/resources/reliance_complete2.pdf 57.31mb high resolution pdf file. Not complete: begins with book f.
Maktabah has a Scribid
version which is only 384 pages, far short of complete
- If you need hard copy, it is available at Amazon for $25.67 at preset. (03/08/'14)
- Broken link!!!I currently use this source: http://www.shariahthethreat.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/reliance_of_the_traveller.pdf
- New link 06/09/16: http://concit.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/reliance2_complete.pdf
The laws concerning marriage, divorce, crime & punishments, and jihad are imposed upon non-Muslims where Allah's writ runs. Islamic law forbids charging or receiving interest. Shari'ah compliant commerce involves the proscription of all interest and all traffic with Israel. It also involves the payment of 2.5% Zakat on financial transactions as well as on increase in wealth. What most westerners don't know is that 1/8 of Zakat collections must be paid to the terrorists to finance their war against us. It is illegal to give Zakat to Kuffar.
H8.7: The Eight Categories of Recipients
It is obligatory to distribute one's zakat among eight categories of recipients (O: meaning that zakat goes to none besides them), one-eighth of the zakat to each category. (n: In the Hanafi school, it is valid for the giver to distribute his zakat to all of the categories, some of them, or to confine himself to just one of them (al-Lubab fi sharh al-Kitab(y88), 1.155). )
H8.17: Those Fighting for Allah
The seventh category is those fighting for Allah, meaning people engaged in Islamic military operations for whom no salary has been allotted in the army roster (O: but who are volunteers for jihad without remuneration). They are given enough to suffice them for the operation, even if affluent; of weapons, mounts, clothing, and expenses (O: for the duration of the journey, round trip, and the time they spend there, even if prolonged.
It is not permissible to give zakat to a non-Muslim, or to someone whom one is obliged to support (def: m12.1), such as a wife or family member.
Some of the most important provisions have been documented with screen shots from the search engine at Muhaddith.
- http://www.crusadersarmory.tk/RelianceO9-0.html Jihad defined as making war on Kuffar.
- http://www.crusadersarmory.tk/RelianceO9-1.html The communal obligation to attack Kuffar at least once each year.
- http://www.crusadersarmory.tk/RelianceO9-8.html The caliph makes war on Jews... codification of 9:29.
- http://www.crusadersarmory.tk/RelianceO9-9.html The caliph fights all other people... codification of 8:39.
- http://www.crusadersarmory.tk/RelianceO4-9.html Unequal indemnity for killing non-Muslims.
- http://www.crusadersarmory.tk/RelianceO1-2.html Honoricide: no retaliation for killing your offspring.
- http://www.crusadersarmory.tk/RelianceO11-5.html Restrictions on Dhimmis.
- http://www.crusadersarmory.tk/RelianceO11-10.html Acts which violate Dhimma, subjecting the violator to the death penalty.
- http://www.crusadersarmory.tk/RelianceO9-13.html Women & children enslaved by reason of capture.
- http://www.crusadersarmory.tk/RelianceO8-7.html List of acts entailing apostasy.
- http://www.crusadersarmory.tk/RelianceO8-2.html Penalty for Apostasy.
- http://www.crusadersarmory.tk/RelianceO25-9.html The eighth duty of subordinate rulers: to undertake Jihad.
A series of blog posts about Shari'ah has been compiled into a Windows Help File (chm). Shari'ah.chm (100K Zipped) Compiled from a series of articles about Shari'ah, how it can affect you and what you can do to stop it.
Reliance is the handbook of Shafi'i fiqh, authenticated by the Sheikhs of Al-Azhar University. The Maliki school's Risala is shorter, less detailed and easier to read. Unfortunately, it is only available in pdf format here:
Hedaya is the handbook of Hanifi fiqh. Printed in an antique type face, densely packed and couched in arcane and archaic vocabulary, it is difficult to read. Hedaya, however, points out the differences between itself and the Shafi'i school. making it a useful tool for research. It adds a great deal of clarity to the issues of Jihad & Jizya. These links go directly to those issues in the second volume of the two volume edition.
If you seek information about the Islamic laws governing slavery, Reliance will frustrate you because the translator deemed that material obsolete and omitted it. The laws regulating slavery were not expunged from Hedaya, being spread through Volume 1. The 785 pages of Vol. 4 contain 2604 instances of "slave". use the Shift ^F advanced search function of Adobe Reader to find them.